Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Emergency Oven Roasted Potato Chips

It was just another evening in front of the tv. Remote in one hand, the famous sitcom 'friends' before my eyes , my feet up on the couch..all that was missing was a bag of potato chips. Yes, I love chips! And I fail to believe anybody who tells me they don't. Too lazy to drive all the way to a store, I decided to take the matter in my own hands. Thus came the creation of my emergency oven roasted potato chips. I didn't bake them till super-duper crispy. I loved how they were somewhere in between crispy and soft, forkalicious! 


The spice blend I used was something available in my pantry, trader joe's 21 seasoning salute. If you care to make this from scratch, here is the ingredient list:

Trader Joe's Spices of the World 21 Seasoning Salute (as printed on the bottle): Onion, Black Pepper, Celery Seed, Cayenne Pepper, Parsley, Basil, Marjoram, Bay Leaf, Oregano, Thyme,Savory, Rosemary, Cumin, Mustard, Coriander, Garlic, Carrot, Orange Peel, Tomato Granules, Lemon Juice Powder, Oil of Lemon, Citric Acid.


You need


  • 4 small red potatoes, scrubbed, skin on 
  • About a tablespoon of the spice blend, above. You can always use your own and get creative.
  • A generous sprinkle of salt : remember, potatoes need more salt than most vegetables . You are free to add more or less
  • A generous sprinkle of pepper
  • About 1.5 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil 
Method


  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Thinly slice the potatoes, with the skin on. I sliced them in rounds, you may cut them into strips, wedges, smiley faces, hearts, whatever you want. This said, be very careful and watch your hands, those babies are precious :). Alternately, you may also use a mandoline slicer to make life easier. 
  3. Toss the potatoes in the olive oil, spice blend, salt and pepper.
  4. Bake for 30-40 minutes , tossing the slices midway through the baking process. 
  5. A good tip is to ensure that the potatoes are in one single layer on the baking sheet. This will ensure even baking. 
  6. Once baked fully, or crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, give them one more toss, taste for seasonings and enjoy!! 

Why go to a store, when you can make your own snack in the comfort of your own home !

Enjoy :)

2 comments: